Create Game - Research Costs - Experimentation Only

A few weeks ago I was playing a game where some of the tech had been give a fixed level by setting it to No Experimentation Research, but found it frustrating that you could still end up getting a locked tech at Pay Cycle

1. Can this be sorted out, so your scientists only experiment with tech which can advance in levels.

2. How about a setting where the only way to advance a tech is through experimentation!

2 Likes

That would be interesting! Or have it where Trades are off. and you gain one random level of tech each cycle / every 2 cycles. That would be so interesting!

I’ve been wanting a “no science” option for quite a while now.

1 Like

I’m sure I fixed number 1 already. I’ll have a look at the code.

I think number 2 might be a bit too chaotic. What if I was stuck on weapon 1 fighting somebody on weapons 5?

@JayKyburz no need to check the code, it was probably at least a month ago I played last with a game with fixed tech levels.

And I was reminded by a game I just joined which has only 3 tech which are not fixed, when that starts I will let you know if it is still a problem.

As for the experimentation only option, you would still be able to trade for the tech.

[quote=“JayKyburz, post:4, topic:3758, full:true”]I think number 2 might be a bit too chaotic. What if I was stuck on weapon 1 fighting somebody on weapons 5?
[/quote]

Tough. because chances are the next game you’ll tower over someone else in techs. That’s the point.

[quote=“eDave, post:5, topic:3758, full:true”]As for the experimentation only option, you would still be able to trade for the tech.
[/quote]

Maybe this could be a changeable feature.

• Trade-able - No Restriction
  • Scanning - Within Scanning Sensors
  • Random - Trades One Tech Randomly Every _ Cycles.
  • Non-trade-able - Get What You’re Given.*

That’s a game my friend started, and we just finished a very similar game and have played several with restricted tech recently. When experimentation hits, if it’s in one of the disabled techs, you’ll get an event like “Your experimental scientists have unsuccessfully attempted to advance your Manufacturing Technology.”

@ dakotahwkins
Happens to me all the time!

@Satan_II

That sounds good. Random sounds loltastic. What about a Civilizaiton style “no trade brokering.” You can’t trade a tech level you didn’t research yourself. If you got Banking 5 from someone, you can’t trade banking 5 at all to anyone else. However, if you research Banking 6, you can trading Banking 5 AND 6 to anyone you want even if Banking 5 was from a trade.