Flying Swiss 1v1 Tournament [FS 02/2022]

@Trucriot what constitutes a tight win, and what about a draw?

Is the game not finishing (yet with an uneven star count) considered a tight win? Or is it when other factors need to be considered (e.g. ship count)?

I ask as I don’t know if my game with Kaine can finish in time.

My game with @Dr_Gaming has less than 1% difference in ships, and we are one contested star away from having perfectly mirroring stars. Industry is close, I’m ahead in eco and science, but no where enough to be decisive. Looks like the game will be going on for a while yet…

Where is everyone these days? I’m trying to get in touch with y’all again but ur nowhere to be found!

My game with @sarcophagus just ended in my victory. The game was quite even troughout the course, but one missed turn in the beginning of the round by sarcophagus allowed me to gain a slight advantage that I managed to keep untill the end. At the end, a sneak attack to his home star by suprise level of range and one miscalculated defence on his part allowed me to grap an advantage that was too much to overcome.

Thanks for the game. Looking forward to the next round.

1 Like

Good question. We never really had anything but clear wins so far (eventually).

I just created a first version of a simple calculation based on the game stats to determine whether a game that didn’t conclude should be a draw, tight win, or clear win. The most important factor will be stars.

It was to be expected that this round will have many tight games as the seeding methodology provides match-ups on a very similar level.

Regardless, all game results will be determined this weekend. You can then decide for yourselves whether to play out the game just for fun.

Everyone’s busy in competitive 1v1 games :wink: You should join the fun again too.

And congrats @iippabella for the win!

I recently did some more research and realized that 4 Swiss rounds for 24 players do not quite give a perfectly reliable sorting of the table. Thus, I will introduce a semifinals stage in the next Flying Swiss where #1 plays #4 and #2 plays #3 after 4 rounds have concluded.

I don’t like just throwing a change in in the middle of the tournament, but do think it would make things more fair if these two games were added for FS 02/2022 too ( :wink: ). I’ll let you guys decide:

• Yes, add a semifinals round for the current tournament.
  • No, don’t do it.
  • I don’t mind either way.

0 voters

It’s definitely very close right now. I doubt we could get a proper win through with the time we have left but there might be time for a maneuver that makes it clearer which side has the advantage in the long run. We’ll have to see.

I just conceded. Well done @Dr_Gaming, he launched an attack that redirected towards my home star. And while I was slowly edging out a lead, I would have lost my home star and there is no way to recover from that.

Thanks! Like you said you were edging out a lead slowly through science and eco as I basically abandoned science growth and terra at one point in favor of trying to rush manufacturing and industry to get a lead. That didn’t work out but I saw you had a gated loop going from your home star I could get into. Worked out in the end but there’s a good chance I would’ve simply lost if that warp gate wasn’t there or you shut it down. Looking forward to our next match!

@iipabella Well done :smile: masterfully capitalised on slightest opportunities, that’s a skill I’d want to develop as well! Beautiful game, well matched and hope to play you again!

I’ll be curious to see the result. I have my own thoughts on the result in the current path, we’ll see if the numbers agree

What? Only one day left? I totally miscalculated :frowning:
I’m 8 stars behind. But I’m totally going to win this. Hopefully @DarkDragonwing wants to play it out. Even if it doesn’t count for tournament/ranking.

Totally forgot about the deadline, too. Perhaps we can do some quick turns…

Will play this one out, if you‘re in :wink:

Hmm, now I’m conflicted. I could easily catch up in stars and even surpass my opponent in the next 6 to 9 ticks. But I have to capture useless stars just for the sake of it.

Up to you (and @DarkDragonwing :wink: ). I’ll be considering all numbers tomorrow. Potential divergence of wait times will be a factor for games that did not reach the 196-ticks threshold.

Here are the results of the games that did not conclude yet - calculated relative advantages (for games that are not draws based on stars) are given in brackets:

@Solfyre [US-2] vs. @plug [GB-3]: 54-54 DRAW after 204 ticks
@DarkDragonwing [DE-5] vs. @wint3ermute [DE-7]: 55-55 DRAW after 102 ticks*
@Macomber [CA-13] vs. @limemaster [21]: 51-53 DRAW limemaster (+56) after 270 ticks
@Generic [GR-25] vs. @Kaine [27] 53-59 WIN Generic (-216) after 342 ticks
@Skilly146 [US] vs. @Satirael [DK] 54-54 DRAW after 216 ticks
@tenerezu [MX] vs. @Grayman 43-49 WIN Grayman (+218) after 306 ticks

*) Wait time divergence between the players was within the .728-threshold.

As it’s past the deadline, these results will be permanent. If both players want to, the games can still be continued. Otherwise feel free to quit and make room for the upcoming next round.

Tournament Table after Round 2

# Player Won BH₂ BH₁ Pts
1 Generic 2 8.00 4.00 8
2 Dr_Gaming 2 10.00 2.00 8
3 DarkDragonwing 1 8.00 5.00 6
4 wint3ermute 1 8.00 5.00 6
5 Skilly146 1 8.00 5.00 6
6 Satirael 1 8.00 5.00 6
7 Macomber 1 6.00 5.00 6
8 limemaster 1 10.00 3.00 6
9 Solfyre 1 8.00 3.00 6
10 plug 1 8.00 3.00 6
11 SummerSiren2331 1 9.00 4.00 4
12 Kaine 1 8.00 4.00 4
13 BelSon 1 6.00 4.00 4
14 SteelyPhil 1 11.00 3.00 4
15 iippabella 1 10.00 3.00 4
16 MLaZz 1 10.00 3.00 4
17 BlueChicken 1 9.00 3.00 4
18 Grayman 1 9.00 3.00 4
19 OneBlue 0 5.00 6.00 0
20 PanzerSherman 0 7.00 5.00 0
21 sarcophagus 0 6.00 5.00 0
22 gaz123 0 6.00 5.00 0
23 Demikus 0 7.00 4.00 0
24 tenerezu 0 7.00 4.00 0

I will prepare the maps and match-ups for the next round as soon as possible.

Shoot, I was hoping my large economic lead would count for something! Nice game @plug for kicking me out of “your side” and holding the line afterwards. Tough fought!

mine, and macomber game was very tight. a lot of back and forth, up and down. i just so happen to be on top right now but i dont think i can keep it for long