Flying Swiss 1v1 Tournament [FS 02/2022]

Yeah, I just saw that you guys switched again. I may have set the bar for a tight win too low, maybe I should raise it to 70 :thinking:

I saw that, was really hoping that the many stars that can be reached first would mean one or both of you could keep the outpost going. Should have known better that you guys are too savvy. :smiling_face_with_tear:

Definitely have to change tactics. The tournament is about turn submit rate management and star counts short before deadline.
I know, there is no other way to make a fast tournament. So, not complaining. But the rules shift the objectives of the game drastically.

Definitely important to keep the submits coming to have more clear results. Thatā€™s why it was mentioned in the first post:

@Macomber @limemaster - sorry for the inconvenience, but I decided to call your game a draw. Iā€™m still not rock-solid on sensible thresholds for draws vs tight wins vs clear wins.

Will work on re-doing the tournament match-ups and rankings now.

no problem, i didnt feel like i won anyway

1 Like

It was a very tight game between me and @Solfyre - maybe my superior ship count matched your Econ lead? Funnily enough, I feel like I have an opening now, right as weā€™re endingā€¦ Maybe we could play it out quickly if weā€™re both online sometime in the next 24h?

Round 2 leaves only two players with two wins so far: Dr_Gaming and Generic will battle for the preliminary top position in the upcoming round! But many are chasing them - the semifinal spots (given to the Top4 after 4 rounds) are in high demand:

1. @Dr_Gaming [RS-8] vs. @Generic [GR-14]
  2. @DarkDragonwing [DE-5] vs. @Skilly146 [US]
  3. @wint3ermute [DE-6] vs. @Satirael [DK]
  4. @Solfyre [US-2] vs. @Macomber [CA-13]
  5. @plug [GB-3] vs. @limemaster [20]
  6. @Kaine [27] vs. @SummerSiren2331 [US]
  7. @BelSon [AU-12] vs. @SteelyPhil
  8. @iippabella vs. @MLaZz [SI]
  9. @BlueChicken [US] vs. @Grayman
  10. @OneBlue [AM] vs. @PanzerSherman
  11. @sarcophagus vs. @gaz123
  12. @Demikus [US] vs. @tenerezu [MX]

Use the according map link I provided for your game in @Dyspā€™s tournament tracking tool - press the hyperlink symbol to the right of the names:
https://np2stats.dysp.info/tournament.php?tournament=77

Password is 1vs1 - please join your game with your forum username by March 16, otherwise it will be forfeited and your opponent automatically wins. Also be mindful to try and submit at least twice per day so we can get as many clear results by March 26 as possible.

Good luck and have fun everyone!

1 Like

Limemaster played well with a raiding style of attack, lots of back and forth in our match. I think a draw is a fair result with how it is right now, but Iā€™d say they have the advantage with a higher ship count and will likely win in the end. Thanks for your efforts sorting through it, @Trucriot

I had a strong game to start and pulled ahead to a good star lead and control of the centre. But I made the crucial and foolish mistake of not noticing that a range upgrade put Limemaster within range of my (warped) home star. They promptly warped up and attacked, of course. I was able to retake it shortly thereafter but as they raided through behind my lines and I pulled back ships to handle the problem, my lines collapsed and they gained ground while my economy tanked. As you can see from the star intel, itā€™s been a close match since. I just recently - and with great satisfaction - took their home star and will hold on as long as I can. It will be fun to play this one out.

1 Like

Thanks for the behind-the-scenes! Definitely a game for the books then, donā€™t think it ever happened that both players took the opponentā€™s home star successfully.

Your screenshot looks like another good argument for calling it a draw. Maybe Iā€™ll have to look into intel for edge cases and not solely rely on the latest numbers when I screen the tournament page after the deadline.

1 Like

Oh no! Could I not be put up against an easier opponent?? :smiley:

Well done to @Kaine for our game! Very meticulous calculations and no compromises when it came to attacking and defending. Made every star capture or defence a high-stake ordeal! I tried a game with no warp gates but it was evident that this would not work. He quickly got the upper hand by more than 11 stars at a given point due to my slow ship delivery, even though my stats were slightly higher. Later on every star was contested with sneaky warp gate placements, ultimately a small economy advantage let me pull ahead.

Best of luck to everyone this upcoming round!

I tried for a quick finishā€¦ but you wouldnā€™t let me. VERY rude!!! Definitely that was the closest fight Iā€™ve had to date, was very fun.

hmmm, i might be interested in joining the next round of matches :face_with_monocle:

Keep an eye out for the next Legendary Level League round, sign-ups for that will open this week!

@DarkDragonwing @wint3ermute @tenerezu Donā€™t forget to join by tomorrow latest, otherwise your games will be forfeited.

My new plan is to secure victory by submitting turns as fast as possible. :smiley:
Quantity beats quality :smiley:

Still need to ensure quality, otherwise itā€™s just securing a fast loss :wink:

Just concluded my game with @SummerSiren2331 (aka Core C3). We had a weird ass map with an unusually high and well placed random gates. A couple key new ones and early range 2 meant i could get a lot of ships to the front super quickly, and then the early gains carried me through. Well fought though just a weird quirk of the map made it so quick!

I won. @Satirael delayed research of Range2 and went for early gates instead. For a short time it gave me control over the west half of the map. He managed to kick me out later, but it cost to much. All metrics were even except one: ships count. I had 50% ships advantage and used it to gain ground.

Yeah turned out that was a mistake, at least for the map we played on, well capitalized on your advantage @wint3ermute ! Learned a few things as well, so hopefully Iā€™ll do better in my next match.

@Generic - @MLaZz - @Kaine - @SteelyPhil - @OneBlue - @BlueChicken - @iippabella - @sarcophagus - @PanzerSherman - @SummerSiren2331 - @tenerezu - @limemaster - @DarkDragonwing - @Grayman

As the Flying Swiss is closing in on its last regular round, donā€™t forget to check out the latest LLL round for more 1v1 fun - just a one-game commitment and a slower pace with one starting star against a player on a similar level. The next round after that will only come in two months. One day left to sign up!