Madness. (1 star per player)

I would trade with my ally, sending them scanning, and getting weapons in return. I could send them spare cash I had so they could warpgate their world, then stargate my own so my ally would claim the world first and repel the aggressor with their superior fleet.

These are just a few of the examples I can think of. Want some more? :smile:

Yes, I am :slight_smile:

1 Like

I botched my first attack, which is a fatal error with this configuration. I’d be interested in trying it out again sometime though!

Me too. I didn’t show industry enough love at the beginning and got punished for it.

If I regenerate the map I will make the stars a tiny bit further apart so that there are all the same distance apart and just outside scanning.

But it just like russian roulette really.

I wonder how a 4x4 diamond “Russian Roulette” would work?

A reminder Jay that you should look at the bug that Ross reported - a star was reachable with Range1, but required Scan3 to see infrastructure - am guessing different paths of the code handle rounding slightly different.

It’s not the randomness I had an issue with at all. These things happen. My problem was the inconsistent logic. I can only play off the information given to me, and when two stars are the same distance apart, it seems clear something has gone a bit hinky. I can only assume hyperspace rounds up and scanning down?

There are a few related floating-point rounding bugs that have been highlighted by the distance between stars in this game. There are two sets of stars which are both 4.0ly apart but one’s range 1 and the other range 2, there’s the scanning issue you had, and I’ve reported a problem where the ETAs of carriers change during flight.

I also enjoyed this game… it’s interesting how much people’s behaviour changes when every move you make is life-or-death.

Ditto what rc_pinchey said … it’s a nerve wracking game!

I also have seen the ETA’s of carriers change in flight … so Jay may have a good test case to diagnose some subtle game bugs … either that, or there are some Wormholes in this game … :wink:

I probably won’t mess around with the floating point bugs I would just move the stars off the border between range 1 and 2 so that they are all clearly larger than one but less than 2. If you know what I mean.

I don’t mean to be a pest Jay, but you might look into this (in your copious spare time!) because I’m pretty sure there are some underlying coding bugs and it just so happens in this game, they were noticed - also some pretty experienced/observant players, so credible reports.

I.e. this probably crops up in other games, but people just say WTF or don’t notice. Good news is you have a good “test case” here.

I bet there’s never been a total stars intel chart quite like this before:

2 Likes

I suggest making this turn-based with the turn “jump” equal the distance of neighbor stars. This would be really mad!

2 Likes

LOL … turn based would be even more madder!

Remember this whole idea was Ross’s … and he was the first knocked out … so his “plan” all along was to inflict madness on the rest of us! :wink:

1 Like

I’d be pretty interested in trying a turn-based variation.

Yes, yes! The madder the better!

Right now, most of the stars are 4 LY distant … so a I think a 4 tick turn would be good since it moves you a 1/3 of the distance at regular speeds … and the entire distance with WG’s! :wink:

Or maybe make 'em all 4.3 LY so in the second case, you could see your impending doom coming … but have time to launch back at 'em.

But the map needs to be fixed up IMHO … as noted, there are some discontinuities (wormholes!) in places where the flight times aren’t quite what you think they should be - I actually think this is bug in the NP code. Also, that isolated star at the very bottom is a bit unfair to those players.

So would that be 4.251 LY or 4.301 LY or 4.349 LY ? Because something happens at 4.33333 LY .
Those distances all round to 4.3 LY , but carrier flight times increase one tick past the 1/3 LY mark.

After spending the whole game peacefully in my corner, I have finally been attacked.

Will I survive? Or will I meet the same fate as a two dozen others?

Yea, should have said 4.25LY between stars (with 4 Ticks/Jump) … and yea, there are some serious “wormholes” in the current map, so you want to stay away from distances very close to multiples of 1/3LY.