Madness. (1 star per player)

I don’t mean to be a pest Jay, but you might look into this (in your copious spare time!) because I’m pretty sure there are some underlying coding bugs and it just so happens in this game, they were noticed - also some pretty experienced/observant players, so credible reports.

I.e. this probably crops up in other games, but people just say WTF or don’t notice. Good news is you have a good “test case” here.

I bet there’s never been a total stars intel chart quite like this before:

2 Likes

I suggest making this turn-based with the turn “jump” equal the distance of neighbor stars. This would be really mad!

2 Likes

LOL … turn based would be even more madder!

Remember this whole idea was Ross’s … and he was the first knocked out … so his “plan” all along was to inflict madness on the rest of us! :wink:

1 Like

I’d be pretty interested in trying a turn-based variation.

Yes, yes! The madder the better!

Right now, most of the stars are 4 LY distant … so a I think a 4 tick turn would be good since it moves you a 1/3 of the distance at regular speeds … and the entire distance with WG’s! :wink:

Or maybe make 'em all 4.3 LY so in the second case, you could see your impending doom coming … but have time to launch back at 'em.

But the map needs to be fixed up IMHO … as noted, there are some discontinuities (wormholes!) in places where the flight times aren’t quite what you think they should be - I actually think this is bug in the NP code. Also, that isolated star at the very bottom is a bit unfair to those players.

So would that be 4.251 LY or 4.301 LY or 4.349 LY ? Because something happens at 4.33333 LY .
Those distances all round to 4.3 LY , but carrier flight times increase one tick past the 1/3 LY mark.

After spending the whole game peacefully in my corner, I have finally been attacked.

Will I survive? Or will I meet the same fate as a two dozen others?

Yea, should have said 4.25LY between stars (with 4 Ticks/Jump) … and yea, there are some serious “wormholes” in the current map, so you want to stay away from distances very close to multiples of 1/3LY.

4.5 LY might work also. 1/2 LY does not conflict with Scan range boundaries, nor Hyperspace range boundaries, nor carrier flight time boundaries. 4.5 LY is also less mysterious for players than 4.25 LY, since the ruler measurements are rounded to one decimal place, not two decimal places.

Madness should wrap up shortly - will post a final animation of the map … pretty wild looking.

Everyone knows how it is a challenge to get two players to work together … and 3-way partnership is really tough - very impressive how Golden Ace, Katrine, and Sekoms worked together.

But somehow we just got FIVE players (myself, Rektal, Tinker, Dibble, and Londane) working together against them in a HUGE simultaneous real-time move … was frickin’ awesome and the highlight of the game! :wink:

Londane took a defensive hit for the team, I finished Scan barely in time to pass to Dibble who then passed me Weapons which I then passed back to the rest of the team … who all had attacks in progress. None of us know each other in RL (and I think I’ve only played with one of these guys before a long time ago) and it was a huge leap of trust for it to somehow come together and not backstab the other player … especially in this crazy Russian Roulette game.

Major props for Rektal, Tinker, Dibble, and Londane.

1 Like

It’s over - thanks Ross for setting up and everyone for playing - this game truly was Madness!

Final Screenshot below (I criss-crossed a buncha carriers) and the image after that is an animation of how the game unfold - click on either one to see larger.

Animation Map

5 Likes

Premium Player Wizard has a badge that looks like a Wizard’s hat ? What is that ?
I can not find any explanation in the Help Codex.

Oh ! That is @Qwerty .

1 Like

Any chance of a turn-based Madness game?

As noted above, I think the map needs to have the distances adjusted a bit.

1 Like

Waiting for this too!

I’ll be happy to play this again.

likewise

With a little more Industry this time Ross?!? :wink: :wink:

I need to set this up right?

Should we do less than 32 players this time?