NP4 Testing

What might be best is raising the limit to something like 999 so people can say what they want. We can suggest ideas but in the end it’s just up to Jay.

How about 99999? :slight_smile:

1 Like

This may already be on your to-do list from past comments, @JayKyburz, but the carriers in the 64 player game I’ve joined start at #48 and go from there, so I think the number reflects the total number of carriers already created by other players.

Minor typos to note in documentation:

In the New Features of NP4

At the end of the game, once alliances have ossified, and you are ready concede defeat, but you want…

… a share of the games Victory Points…

Should be:

• you are ready to concede defeat
  • game’s

In the Fealty and Vassals section:

“… in exchange for a share of the games Victory Points.”

Should be: game’s

In the Science and Technology section:

Banking:

On production you earn X * (10 + Y * 2) credits where X is to your empires Total Economy…

Should be: “… where X is your empire’s…”

Experimentation:

This is more of a matter of consistency. You typically express the technology with variables as seen above but in this section, you write, “You earn 72 points * your Experimentation research level.”

Although it is perfectly clear as it is, you could change it to something like, “At production, you earn 72 * X points towards a technology, where X is your Experimentation research level.” And alter the opening sentence accordingly, like, “Your scientists conduct experiments every cycle that increase your research in a random technology.”

Terraforming:

“All your stars natural resources are improved to (X*5)+Y where X terraforming level tech and Y is the stars natural state.”

Should be:

• stars’ (possessive, plural noun ending in s). Could alter to, “The natural resources of all your stars are…” if you prefer.
  • …where X is the Terraforming tech level…
  • stars’

Note also some inconsistent language and capitalization across these three examples where describing technologies: “Banking Tech Level” vs “Experimentation research level” vs “terraforming level tech”. This is seen elsewhere too (e.g in Warp Gate section, “range tech level”). Would recommend a consistent approach.

In the Warp Gates section:

You may consider building gates out of range of enemy stars, \ or make sure stars with gates are well defended

Should be:

• without a slash in the middle.

:nerd_face:

Awesome list Macomber, thanks very much. I will fix these this week!

1 Like

Glad to help! I enjoy editing, let me know if any further support is needed there.

One note: I just started a NP4 turn-based game and I noticed that there isn’t a visual marker in the leaderboard area of someone having submitted their turn, as is the case in NP2 with the green check mark/text.

1 Like

Came here to say this exact thing.

1 Like

Fixed, will submit soon.

Great, I can see it working in my game now.

Quality of life stuff:

When i type up a message to someone, leave for a sec to check a star name or anything else, i come back and the draft is gone. NP2 remembers the draft.

Im also able to write a message to myself with any important notes in NP2, but not here.

In the events tab, when i click on a hot link to a star with a current event, it does not clear the event and it stays “new”. It does in NP2.

When using the ruler, i find that the ticks amount is not intuitive to see among the other info. Maybe make it bold, bigger or something to have it pop out as it is the most important bit of info on this screen, by far.

Otherwise no bugs in gameplay that I’m seeing.

Thanks Solfyre,

I will try and fix some of these things today.

1 Like

Hey, I just realized I can’t see the victories / rank / renown area in NP4. Is that going to be shifted over later or are you readjusting that element?

I just assumed it was for more anonymity in the new version and that you would be able to see it after the game ended but I just finished one and it doesn’t show it. Also at the end of games it doesn’t show true aliases.

Your Triton achievements should be visible on your “achievements” page from the main menu.

I’m working on some code that will make this whole page visible to anybody.

Ah I see! Interesting. Thanks for the information.

@JayKyburz — looking at this raises the question of what NP4 will be called, if NP2 is Triton and NP3 is Proteus. Any thoughts so far?

I think it isn’t showing ‘true aliases’ at the end because aliases aren’t an option in NP4 (see my post in response to this change).

1 Like

I was going to continue to name the versions after Neptune’s Moons, but I got sick of Typing Neried (or whatever its called). So I think it will just be NP4.

Please feel free to create separate accounts for Toothless Pete and Blort. I will even give them premium if you email me.

You just can’t play multiple accounts in the same game.

Hey, thank you, that is very kind, but it is all good! I’ll just stick with my regular account.

Interesting re: Neptune’s moons, I had never made that connection. Yes the other ones don’t have names that quite roll off the tongue.

Just a thought - NP4 could be ‘Galileo’.

Galileo was probably the first human being to see Neptune, although he didn’t recognise it as a planet.

2 Likes