Proteus Test Game

Somebody said it above, but I think it’s a good idea to have the simple formula for ships, money and reseach, but I’ll make it per day rather than per hour. That will make all the numbers smaller.

Then I’ll implement the exponential growth in cost for tech and infrastructure and we’ll kick off a new game.

I just have a bunch of new bugs to finish off today and then hopefully can make the changes this afternoon. I havn’t even started the warpgate stuff.

I like that idea. Let’s focus on bugs, scaling issues, and whatever other small things we figured out for the second game. Maybe We can have the major changes to scan, range, and wormholes, and exp in a third game. The more we test the faster we can figure out what works.

I hope I make the next test game! I’m not the best player, but you need mediocre ones too, right? :wink:

OK, I decided to not be subtle about the new cost functions and have probably over done it. Things might get too expensive and bog down, but lets see how it works out.

I didn’t divide everything by 24 becuase I thought working with fractions of dollars was basically the same as working with large whole dollars. We may still see the problems where the ships scale so fast at a star that your attack fleets too small when they arrive, but I think the solution is to just set up your river of ships to continue on into the enemy. We’ll see how it all works out.

• A new star inf cost function where economy is cubed before multipliers are applied.

• Tech reseach costs are also cubed.

• Tech trading is squared. (should I just go ahead and make it a cube function as well?)

• Left the fleet price as is for now. total fleets * base price

• Re-instated trade with scanned players only. (think there might be a bug there but will debug it in game if it pops up again.)

• Implemented Cloaking when enemy star has 3 levels better scanning!

• Will reduce the home star defence bonus to 2 in a minute.

Anything else I you think I should implement in the next hour or so?

Might do a total credits and reseach to go next to total new ships in the empire screen.

Should the next game be 16 players?

16 players sounds good

I like the sound of most those changes. I can’t say for sure but we might have an even longer buildup to an even bigger madhouse at the end. Hopefully the new exponential growth will help that.

You just made my day by saying scan trade is default now!

16 players is good. We can work it up to bigger and bigger games as we go.

Can you fix the ruler? Not sure the exact problem, but it’s set for triton range and doesn’t line up.

I’ll probably post more as I think of stuff.

done. thanks for the reminder.

Here is the new game with 16 players!

I feel REALLY silly… but somehow I missed the choice to set up research bonus and penalty when I made a custom race… any chance you can kick me and I can try again?

… in a way that I could rejoin it…

You have to quit out, then I need to clear the list of blocked players, and you will be able to join again. You can quit on the options or the leaderboard I think.

I’m in. Might have made a slight typo on scanning research cost?

Something is going wrong. I dont have scanning at all. Investigating

I see the bug, I’m deleting and starting a new game.

My guess is since the start value is 27 for scanning, and you have superior scanning, it just disappeared when you had a negative cost. Not sure about implications in code though.

yep, I had it set low for my testing of cloaking.

new game Neptune's Pride

Looks good now.

Can’t wait to explore all three of my unoccupied stars. Yay for crappy starts!

My last start was much better than this one. I must be on an edge again now.

Wow, I just got done in the current game. Zoquete has been updating all night and now it’s too expensive for me to keep up. Thankfully my next manufacturing kicks in in 183 days 7 hours and 43minutes though…

You might have gone slightly too far the other way, Jay…

There’s definitely a ceiling that players won’t get beyond with the new settings. And I think we’re way above it.

I’m all in favour of me taking the win, obviously.

1 Like

I think the problem is we’re seeing prices for super late game infra and tech, while we got to this point very quickly. In the next game it will build up slowly and naturally and we’ll probably never reach stuff thats this expensive. (I’m about to drop of exhaustion so I hope this makes sense. If not I’ll clarify in the morning)

Yeah Jay my start in the deleted game was awesome. I even had a couple 70 resources stars in range. I’m most likely in a corner, unless there are lots of stars in range but out of scan.

Any chance you can fix the glitch where we find players location by clicking on their home page and zooming in?

Goodnight all

You definitely won’t reach these heights. The 17th point of industryon a 50 resource star now costs 147,000. My hourly earnings are 6000 in a 58 star empire so it’s roughly an entire days work for my empire to produce that.