Razing Stars

I think it would be great to have the ability to destroy a stars tech and industry. Would players to perform scorched earth strategies and the like. What do you think?

Can I suggest a third option “Scorch”.

You can currently abandon which leaves the tech in place.
Razing would abandon and destroy the tech.
Scorching takes it further and reduces the stars resource score.

Razing should have a $ cost and Scorching should add an extra cost in ships per Resource point removed.

I think Scorch and Raze have the potential to slow down games considerably. If so, i would be wary of introducing them.

Agreed. It would make gifts vastly more valuable than conquering. The game is already susceptible to “I’ll give all my stuff to my conquerors enemy.” This would only exacerbate that.

I agree that scorching or razing should take money and probably time, and yes it would slow the game down but I would argue that is the whole point. The problem i see now with the game is that the first “nation” that is able to perform a successful conquest has a great chance at winning because as he takes those stars he fuels the war machine and afterwards it just kinda snowballs out of control. Alternatively there is no real strategy where players w/ less ships and fewer stars mount comebacks bc of production/research inaptitude.

Alternatively there is no real strategy where players w/ less ships and fewer stars mount comebacks bc of production/research inaptitude.

I do not fully agree here: I would call the alternative strategy Diplomacy.

I initially thought Scorch would be good, too. Thinking more about it, though, I realize that the danger of someone capturing your infrastructure is an intrinsic part of the game. If you don’t want your enemy to take your infrastructure, build it in the home worlds, and keep only ships at the edges. That will slow you down and make development more costly, though, so it’s certainly an interesting trade-off.
Adding “Scorch” would entirely remove that trade-off, making the game less interesting.
You win this game through alliances, not game-play prowess.

I think this feature should be added. The ability to destroy infrastructure on a star. That way a scorched earth tactic would be effective. I mean this kind of balances things out now. An enemy can invade an you can choose to destroy the infrastructures but what if your counter attack is successful, you would have to spend extra money to rebuild those infrastrucutres. But overall it is a good idea.