Returning to the Game

I’ve been away from Blight (and NP) for about 3 months now and just finishing up my “return to the fold” game. Some thoughts:

I like where the game evolved. I stopped playing shortly after the 1 unit / 6 hours change was implemented. I played with that mechanic a few times, though a number of my group were new to it. There was shock at first., but they quickly got over it and got down to business.

The new settlement / reward mechanic was a surprise. I really like this. Its a good balance for the deployment timer. Its a good reason to get out there and capture settlements – though, again, Trolls and Dwarves kinda get shafted since they are slow slow at capturing settlements compared to the other races. Elves already had it quite good, and get a bit more powerful in relation to their slower cousins.

Card tweaks are generally good. I’m not in love with the new Little Wizard, but I like it WAY better than the meta-heavy previous version. The High Elf is in a good spot in regards to resource-to-impact investment. I didnt see a Blind Justice.

Trolls are still Trolls (I played Trolls). Slow and, as a result, the hardest to play by a mile. The starting deck really needs to be; Tangle Mage, Marsh Prince, and Marsh Hunters. Thats the way to really help make Trolls into something interesting… and highlights their racial strengths.

The Hydra really needs to be addressed. Please? Pretty please? Some cards have seen multiple revisions, while the mighty Hydra continues to while away as the least interesting and least useful of the “major” creatures. In a game that is supposed to promote cooperation, the Hydra is almost uniquely priced extremely high for what amounts to a very local effect.

Overall? Its good to be back.

Anyone addressed the FAQ while I was away?

PS: [quote=“Praetorian, post:1, topic:5565”]
Trolls are still Trolls (I played Trolls). Slow and, as a result, the hardest to play by a mile. The starting deck really needs to be; Tangle Mage, Marsh Prince, and Marsh Hunters. Thats the way to really help make Trolls into something interesting… and highlights their racial strengths.
[/quote]

Hardest maybe, but trolls are crazy fun. You can pull some amazing stunts with tangle/ bridge witch combinations. As well, you should take another hard look at the rune dancer—it might even be a little OP. A good troll player can almost always get the badge for most kills/ damage (Unless it’s a longer game and someone spams Blind Justices).

Also, I think it’s important (and awesome in this game) that each race truly has a distinct playing style.

PS: Hi there. (I probably started playing when you left.)

Thanks for the feedback @Praetorian

I’ll make a note to have a look at the Hydra when we have another look at the Blind Justice, Zombie Dragon and a few others in the next week or two.

We are launching in early access on Steam tomorrow, so hopefully there will be some more players in MP.

I might get swamped fixing bugs though.

If you dont mind, take a look at the Gobbo Assassin as well. The upgrades over the last 5 months or so to the Zombie bosses have left the Assassin in the dust. As it is, the things the Assassin can reliably go against is increasingly small.

Perhaps change the Assassin so it kills a single immortal on a percentage? Maybe something like 40% to kill whatever but with a 50% chance to also kill the Assassin (successful or no). 24 hour cooldown if the Assassin lives.

Oh yeah, good call.

So, this is a good example of my frustration with the Hydra. I’m green/white Trolls on Iron Crown. We have a grand total of 5 undead left on the map. I have 3500 gold worth of hydras next to the very last zombie graveyard on the map. That gaveyard is right next to my home territories.

… and despite having invested so much into hydras… and being so close… I can do jack to that itty bitty goblin horde with my hydras other than guard the gates and had to wait for a nearby ally unit to go in and clear the graveyard.

The movement restriction really stinks for such an expensive unit.

Why not drop one of your cards on Lower Hollow? I like their constraint to water, but agree they’re expensive, so perhaps the best solution would be to drop the cost.

-Sparkster