Espionage is the act of spying and I wish to see that implemented within the game. Spying should be a manipulative and a powerful mechanic. In addition, it should be a straightforward mechanic and promote deeper thinking.
Spies will be built by Espionage Facilities(Special Building) and can only be built once per star system. This is similar to the Warp Gates we have today(Be possibly Upgraded?). The contrast is that Espionage Facilities can be upgraded to increase spy production.
Spies are similar to ships.They are a unit and always have to be upgraded. This is where Espionage tech is to increase the quality of it’s spies similar to Weapons tech. In addition, these spies are able to move without the need of carriers; so, players could rally their spies to a star system any time. One major difference however, is that their battle is not instant and is a battle of 2 numbers ticking down.
Spies are able to:
Spies are sent to star systems to accomplish their objective and cannot be changed. Their mission continues as long as there are spies and ends if they are all captured. Furthermore, spies engaged in a spy offensive will take attrition in any mission. Spies can only start their operation as soon as the counter intelligence force reach zero. Likewise, counter-operatives can only stop a mission in progress as soon as all the enemy spies have been destroyed.
- Sleeper Cells are sent to star systems for potential espionage. Any counter intelligence agents would come into conflict, but the battle would occur at a slower speed.
- Sabotage Industries to stop ship production.
- Siphon income or technology from star systems.
- Disable Scanning Range
- Force succession of a star system through an uprising. This is only applicable if the star system has no spy agents for a relative number of production turns and have a greater strength than Espionage Tech X * Natural Resources. Spies would attempt to destroy counter intelligence agents until there remains none. The start timer would start and can only be paused by a counter intelligence force of at least 50% strength. Upon success, the player would receive money relative to the star system’s economy and gain ships stationed. There would be no harm to any of the infrastructure upon the planet.
- Counter Espionage(Passive) gives bonus defender’s advantage.
- Hide Statistics. This is action hides the statistic of a star system from world statistics including its stationed fleet. However, scanning range will reveal the star system’s statistics relative to the beholder. In addition, the world statistics would show the number of discrepancies determined by the number of affiliated star systems within the beholder. Once activated, agents would suffer attrition to prevent the leak of information. In addition, agents would have a penalty in their counter intelligence skills.