Trade and Discard Cards

But aren’t all discarded cards gone or does it reset like a Solitaire deck?

I’m liking the idea, though I could see myself abusing it if I needed some Gold or Mana…

-Sparkster

I think it would need to be:

+1 Valour to Discard
-1 Valour to Trade
-2 Valour to Draw
No auto redraw
Start with 7 cards

This would allow you to dump your start hand and gain up to 7 extra Valour at the start, so you could get more towns if you wanted to go that way. Trading would be cheaper than drawing a new card.

We’d also like to reshuffle your discards once your deck runs out.

1 Like

As this option is even more beneficial to me, I’m liking this idea even more…

-Sparkster

This could certainly be interesting, though I strongly dislike the idea of reshuffling when you run out. I think you should really have to be sacrificing something if you’re gaining Valour–the scarcest resource in the game–in the trade. It’s not like heroes who die on the field of battle get reshuffled into your deck (nor should they); I definitely think you should have to really consider whether or not throwing a card away–forever–is worth it!

1 Like

I agree that I prefer decks as a finite resource,but I 100% recognize that I’m firmly in the “keep thing difficult” camp and am bias against player advantages.

Discarding to generate Valor is going to make charming rogue a serious early game staple for goblin players. I’ve been running him on every map I can get a goblin settlement and he’s become extremely valuable as a means to save Valor.

I’m on the move right now so just posting a quick response to your “reshuffle your discards” idea.

At first thought I was for it. But with the ability to discard for valor (which I like), combined with being able to make a deck made up of only a handful of the “ideal” cards, it becomes very likely that discarding becomes a very lucrative way of cycling through your cards to get to the good ones while benefiting from the valor gain each time as well. It raises a few questions, including how often can you do it?

I feel that adding your other ideas, while also making it so discards don’t get reshuffled, may (possibly?) achieve several things for the game:

• make valor as a resource in early game a strategy in and of itself
  • vary early game strategy (which currently seems a little shallow)
  • deepen deck building strategies DURING a game (via the trade/discard/draw decisions)
  • drive people to make larger more diverse decks
  • give new players some drive to get those new cards for their own decks

Those are my immediate thoughts, I’ll try to really think on it later.

A few thoughts related to this topic, but also tying into the (seemingly) shared view that the game begins with a very tight and clear strategy while late game becomes more of a numbers game.

First, all your resources are difficult to come by in early game but you’re showered by them in excess later. I think this is a view shared by both new and experienced players.
I feel this is a result of costs on actions and units remaining the same while your income on all of the currencies grows and grows.
Perhaps elements that already exist in the game could be used to offset this change.

Consider the following (please feel free to scrutinize this HEAVILY, the idea is currently dribbling from the top of my head to my fingertips):
Cost to discard / trade / draw a card increases along with the number of days the war has waged on. Draw a card day 1 may cost 1 valor, day two it costs 2, day 3 it will cost 3 valor, etc…
Their cost could easily be summed up as a value + x, where X is the number of the current day. So drawing would be a cost of 2 + X, trading 1 +X. In this example, on day 3, drawing would cost 5 valor and trading would cost 4. Based on what I’ve seen, being able to pay those costs won’t be too hard.
Of course, the player won’t need to do the math during a game, the cost would simply be shown for the action, without its behind-the-scenes calculation muddling things up.

It could also help make setting the difficulty for your game a little obvious: remember, if the difficulty settings decide how many days in the game is when you start, then that would already be reflected in how much things cost (making it a tighter budget from the get-go for the players wanting to amp up the punishment). :wink:

You could also make draw / trade costs increase every time the action is used. This would dissuade too much use, but make deck/card use more central to the game later (rather than just being about training units and using abilities). Late game would, again, be able to support higher costs based on what we see now.

Hey Challak,

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas. I had a similar idea a while ago.

I moved away from it because some games are just slower than others. Dwarves fighting dwarves for example is a much slower game than elves fighting elves. I’m not sure I want to further punish the slower races like this.

It’s also a fair amount of complexity we probably dont need.

I do like out of the box ideas though, keep 'em coming!

1 Like

Very good points. I think you’re quite right, good call.
And thank you, I will. :slight_smile:

Lots of game play aspects to this.

I like the change in the early game, it increases the number of hard decisions.

For me, losing the ability to trade valour for gold and mana makes the game considerably harder.
Valour now becomes useless about halfway through the game when your cards are drawn and settlements captured.

Losing the trading means that cards that get you mana and gold are more valuable. Harms races that dont have these - eg the Orcs, where I used to rely on valour trading.

Another topic, but related to the ease of generating early valour, I think the AoE are now overpowered…try taking a couple of Storm Friars to the latest Tournament, a big hit could net you 40 valour.

Wish we could resolve the pacing challenge with Blight discussed before - the player power ramps, whereas the zombies dont, leading to a clear pinch point peak, then a boring run-off. Need a way to prolong the suspense, increasing the strength of zombies over time.

Increasing card cost over time wont fix this, players will buy cards early instead.

Like the change to buying cards for valour in the early game, think it needs other changes to rebalance

I dont think anybody is thinking about removing this ability. This is a very important part of the core game. The “S” button next to valour opens the bazaar. Its also in the drop down.

Thanks! Just me not keeping up with the changes!

Another outside the box idea… so it might be bad :stuck_out_tongue:

What if card draw some somehow tied to settlements? Like for example: you would keep the current system of drawing, but also you would auto draw a card every x hours… and the cooldown would be shortened by 4 hours for every settlement you owned?

There would still be a maximum handsize, but instead of always redrawing every time you played a card, you’d auto draw at a slower rate… that would theoretically get pretty fast once you capped enough settlements.

A few changes in today:

• Earn 1 Valour to Discard
  • Pay 2 Valour to Draw
  • Same 1 Valour to Trade

1 Like

I’m still of the opinion that -2 Valour to draw is pretty steep with no auto redraw. But honestly this is iterating so quickly I haven’t completed a single MP game that had the same card rules all the way through, so it’s really hard to say =\

I’ve found that 1 Valour is super cheap at all but the start of the game, and hopefully the +1 to Discard will help to bridge that and give you some strategic flexibility at the start of the game.

1 Like

I’m going to second DrBwaa on this one. I find myself only drawing from my Deck until mid to late-game.

That said, I’m obviously going to give this a go…

so far I’d say (based on the games I’m playing on nightmare) the problem with having discard net you a Valor as an option to draw another card for essentially 1 Valor isn’t enough to make it worth while.

The problem in that if you have to discard a card to draw another you don’t actually get +1 cars in your hand… you simply swap one card for another.

So basically, you spend a Valor and the only “benefit” is that MAYBE you get a card better than one you already have…

but if you needanother card, and you have no hand and no Valor (not unreasonable at nightmare difficulty) You’re basically boned.

Also to put things in perspective: the current system means that if you want to draw 5 additional cards from your deck (without diacarding) you have to spend 10 Valor.

That’s pretty crippling.

I wonder if auto redraw could also just be on a timer? maybe you’d still auto draw up to 7, but only get a card every 6 hours?

I don’t think 2V is too crippling. It’s a lot at the start of the game, but beyond that I don’t think it’s very bad (it’s the same as it used to be, after all, and past the midgame I rarely used the automatic redraw anyway). I mostly just have to get out of the habit of making enormous decks with everything in them, which I was doing when the draw cost was only 1V.

1 Like

Yeah actually playing with it it seems fine. Even our guardians game is going okay with this rule.

The only issue is early game/starting hand… and one of these days we’ll get to mulligan right? :stuck_out_tongue: