Why do hexagon players die first?

My last game 7 out of 8 hexagon players quit or went afk. Coincidence?

Interesting. Are six sides just too many?

I wonder if some colours are more successful than others too…

1 Like

In my veteran experience, yes, color and shapes have tendencies. At least in my own experience. The 64 games were notorious for always killing off certain groups. I actually forget which ones now. But a topic on it occurred maybe four or five years ago. Wow, it’s been so long since my interest burned out. Shame, Jay, shame on you for removing 64s!

Anyway, I know that certain colors often did horribly. Green, for instance, almost never won. I cannot off the top of my head recall a game where green won a game I was in, regardless of shape. I know I used to try playing as the traditionally green and eco-friendly Tanglesia Horticult. They ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, received unbelievably badly spaced stars. Green of all shapes. I actually ended up “cheating” by joining the same game with a new account to see what other green stars were like. They were almost always just as bad.

And by bad I mean impossible. Smallest stars I’ve ever encountered. Not one time did I find one with a big system over 30. It was always minimum systems worth basically nothing.

Most consistently, the spacing. The spacing was always weird and that proved to me some kind of algorithmic tendency to mess with specific playing positions and the star parceling.

And Blue circle tended to always have an unfair position. Every time I’d invade a blue empire, they had unbelievably lucky stars. Never a system under 40. And always positioned properly for at least fair and respectable travel times.

As for orange, I won about 7 or so games with orange. Triangle was the favorite but I think circle tended to grant a better placement. Not sure about pills. Orange Pill sometimes granted some very nice stars. Spacing was consistantly wonky with orange, though, but never, ever so bad as with green.

Maybe the randomization functions could be improved ?

When HULK plays, Green has been known to win from time to time … :wink:

3 Likes

Pretty sure I have won with every colour and shape. I have also won with incredibly bad start positions. It’s like life, just make it work or perish! In fact I have had harder games with good start positions because everyone sees you jump to the lead and then gang up on you.

1 Like

It’s not about making due. It’s about whether there is a skew toward one color or shape failing more often as a trend. Which tends to be the case, which further supports the idea that there is a reason behind it, one some might dare to solve…

And nice to see you again, Nick!

You really think there is a bias on colour/shape? I seriously doubt Jay would of gone through the effort to do that. Now I could believe it could be a pattern if colours/shapes were in a set order around the galaxy and the galay generation might be scewed to certain location, but they aren’t. Everything is completely random from star scatter to starting location. Nice to see you again @Smulm :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know from experience that there is a bias, though, in the star resource count for green circle. Its bad. At least in the 64 games, mind, specifically those. I never encountered issue with this in smaller games.

Well too bad there isn’t anymore 64 players games to test this theory with… :sob::rage:

1 Like

Maybe certain personality types are attracted to certain colors and shapes. So there is no bias, other than that some people dont command as well. Since people cant always fit into a mold, there are obviously exceptions…i.e. Hulk. This also makes my theory foolproof :slight_smile:

For instance, in my experience Red players tend to be more aggressive than others. I believe other colors have different tendencies as well.

From what i have seen people who play frequently have certain preferences… Nick muzzio has been purple in almost every game ive ever seen him. Ruhelos and deepsix are almost always orange. Wenatchee is blue. Magic is yellow. Coenna is green… the same goes for shapes, i myself am almost always a triangle if it’s an option. Blue is always my first choice… but i prioritize shape over color. While everyone has almost definitely played as another color or shape that is different than their preference, i would guess most people have a default choice simply because humans are creatures of habit. You almost have to consciously choose not to care about color or shape to not have a default… and I’m sure some people do

@nick.muzzio = RED = :rage:
Always :laughing:

1 Like