Xjhdexter Memorial 1v1 Tournament [XJHD 04/2022]

@Solfyre - just to let you know, I’m back in action and have joined the game. No rush, but look forward to seeing you when you’re ready.

Hey @plug ! Great, lets get it started then. I’ve joined, planning out my moves now.

I just looked at the grand finale game.
At tick #84, @Solfyre leads @plug 71-53 in star count

Looks like a slow but turbulent battle! 144 ticks passed and there is an unclaimed/abandoned star right at the unstable frontline:

Any explanation for why an empty star - perhaps a Warp Gate?

That Stats looks pretty even … EXCEPT @Solfyre has expanded their lead in Stars to 78-55 … so if @plug can somehow win the game, that will be a legendary comeback!

I’d love to say I have a commanding lead with the star count the way it is, but ol’ @Plug actually is holding his share of quality stars centrally. So, this one is still fully up in the air.

Yes, there’s still all to play for I think, despite the star-count situation. I might try and explain my unusual strategy in this galaxy when it’s finished!

update?

It seems like @plug and @Solfyre are still at it, though it’s “only” been 366 ticks. Maybe they have an update from the battlefield on the situation.

It’s slipping away from me, and I’m checking with @Solfyre if he’s happy for me to concede. I tried an unusual strategy which in the end has failed.

I’ve conceded to @Solfyre - a worthy winner in the final, and superbly played. It’s been a fun tournament, and I’m glad we remembered Xjhdexter in this way.

@Trucriot - maybe @Solfyre should get a special badge to mark this?

Thanks to everyone who took part:
@Solfyre @Chumbles @BelSon @limemaster @HULK @MLaZz @DarkDragonwing @Kaine @gaz123 @Lex @Satirael @Dr_Gaming @iippabella @spymort @Macomber

2 Likes

Curious to hear more about this @plug … and yea, against @Solfyre, one needs to throw everything AND the kitchen sink to try to beat him! :wink:

Thanks @HULK - I hesitate to say too much, as it will open a window on @Solfyre’s customary 1v1 strategy, and that feels unfair to him… I was hoping to take advantage of the way he builds Industry right up on the frontier aggressively. I did snatch some of his rich front-line stars, but not enough.

It does open up a discussion on non specific tactics… If you take a star early on that you dont think you can hold for long (typically on the flanks), is it worth building cheap industry there to hold it longer with the hope of indefinite control? Or better to spend in the safe core areas and just try to keep your enemy for claiming said star preventing them from being able to build infrastructure there?

Ive found myself in this situation often and it does suck to build indy only to lose it… But it also feels similarly frustrating just sitting on good stars only to have your opponent not bother to retake them for many cycles.

And yes @plug , without going into too much detail, I do like to build indy up close to the front. Ive said before, it is a risky move if i lose any of it… As losing one industry is a swing of 2 since your opponent claims it. Doubling the misery of those losses.

Front-line Indy is definitely the way to go IMHO … but yea, tricky to find the right balance as pointed out by the two wily veterans above! :wink:

My rule of thumb is every star battle side of my home star is a good choice for indy since most of your reinforcements are coming from there anyways your ships and carriers have to travel at least that far. But I’ll avoid investing in any star I dont think I can hold. Because like @Solfyre mentioned, buying it for the other guy just sucks.

Congrats @Solfyre, becoming the first xjhdexter Memorial Champion!

Would love to give out special tournament win badges finally, but I think @JayKyburz may still be too busy. Maybe he can enable me to do it over Christmas, we talked about some new badges being introduced months ago.

Results XJHD 04/2022

You can now sign up for the 2023 edition of this memorial tournament.

@Solfyre @plug @Dr_Gaming @HULK @DarkDragonwing @spymort @Lex @BelSon @limemaster @Satirael @Macomber @Kaine @MLaZz @iippabella @gaz123 @Chumbles

Count me in please!

Whoops, old tread :slight_smile: Link to the new one is above.