August/2020 1v1 EPIC Tournament with Mirrored Maps

Should we have a separate thread for the other tourney? I wouldn’t want to be cluttering this thread too much.

2 Likes

@panblanco and @Trucriot - yea, I’d recommend a separate thread for the other tourney.

@DarkDragonwing - sounds like a heck of a game - good battling … and appreciate 'ya keeping it moving.

@Golden_Ace - congrats on your win and I see you have joined our game. I’m traveling the rest of this week, so apologies in advance that I’ll be a bit slow in submitting.

EVERYONE - I have updated the top post … and all first round games are done with the exception of @nick.muzzio and @MalcolmReynolds who are currently at tick#36 … hopefully they can start moving things along a bit faster.

2 Likes

All fine! I had a fun evening and that‘s good :smile:

Just another thought on research modifications.

I hear the cheap banking has been more or less well received. Which got me thinking about range. If range were cheap to research, there are map variants where range woudl decrease travel time toward central stars before they were all captured. I think that would add another strategy option at gamestart that would bring another element to the 1v1’s.

Seems like the more legitimate choice you have at game start in terms of what tech gets researched first, the more map analysis and personal strategy comes into play.

no worries. be safe on your trip , stay healthy.

Will open a separate thread for the 2CC, although I didn’t really want it to be a separate tournament :smile:

I’d be hoping even more for @nick.muzzio and @MalcolmReynolds to finish their April (!) tournament match soon. There’s still gonna be up to two matches afterwards, would be nice to see a conclusion at some point. That way we won’t have more and more tournaments running in parallel. :upside_down_face:

I appreciate the suggestion @panblanco but I’m reluctant to make Range toooo cheap … because you have to decide early on if you want to invest in that (for expansion and warp gate jumps) versus other techs … and I think if you do decide to go that route, you should reap the rewards of doing so. Ditto for Scan and Terra … with Manu being Expensive because that is probably the most desired tech.

My two credits …

3 Likes

@nick.muzzio said he is too busy now to keep up with all games, and he doesn’t want to hold up the progress of this tournament, so he conceded our match to me. I’m in against @Karmadrome now.

…and we’re off and running

I’ve updated the first post advancing @MalcolmReynolds against @Karmadrome … and thanks @nick.muzzio for graciously bowing out to allow things to move along.

Speaking of which, ALL first round games are done in 9 days - WOW!
So while it’s great to have things moving along, don’t feel you have to keep up that torrid pace, especially if you are in real complicated game.

Speaking of that, I made some opening moves in my game against @Golden_Ace - probably not a good idea when you are traveling (!), so we’ll see how it plays out. He made a bold move out of the gate - investing BIG in Science (Dr. Bruce Banner is jealous) and got TWO levels of Banking done in the first cycle.

That’s a cool strategy and would not have been doable without Banking being cheap - great idea @Solfyre

Sounds like the same starting strategy he did in our game in first round. Starting with 2 levels of Banking sounds very interesting to me now :grin:

Well it worked so well the first time. the cash I made more than made up for the extra science.

Going big on Banking is a good strategy and while I jumped out to a lead in star count due to faster expansion (the last couple of games, Dr. Bruce Banner has researched a ridiculous number of Hyper hits - how 'bout some Manu for HULK SMASH!), @Golden_Ace has an overall edge.

FYI FWIW that I just checked the 2nd round games:
9. @BOsshOgg leading 51-39 against @The_AI at tick #48 - game link
10. @HULK leading 64-61 against @Golden_Ace at tick #96 - game link
11. @MalcolmReynolds leading 57-55 against @Karmadrome at tick #48 - game link
12. @Solfyre leading 56-55 against @Trucriot at tick #90 - game link

Good job everyone keeping the games moving.

@HULK. Was a bit concerned about you saying @Golden_Ace has the overall edge in your game when you have a 23 star lead, but then I saw that it’s just a typo :smile: Should be 64-61.

And yes, looks like a tight lead by @Solfyre in our game, but in reality he has managed to put himself into a massively advantageous position when he found an opening in the far East of the map. Let’s see if I can get back into the game somehow.

Maybe @Trucriot, but you’ve been crushing me in the infrastructure race. At least it had looked that way. One of those things you can’t account for when looking at “stats” is where said ships/industry are. I could buy half as many industry points and put them on our border and it might look like I’m losing while I might have more ships “in the battle”. So who knows, but I am worried!

@Golden_Ace and I have been submitting up a storm … so we are now at tick #180 … and I’ve got a slight lead of 73-68 … but have caught up in most of the infrastructure as I was able to HULK SMASH a few of his good stars. It’s a wild game (that could go either way) with battles in the top left, middle left, middle, middle/low right, and low right.

Perhaps @Trucriot you can avenge me since @Solfyre and I were playing a side game(s) and I just conceded as he beat me two-outa-three.

Congrats on the win. gave it a last ditch effort to try and turn it around. but to no avail. missed it by 2 ships. :smiley:

That was a fun game @Golden_Ace - lots of bold moves … and yea, several times I was just BARELY able to get enough ships there in time. 222 ticks in just over 5 days … talk about fast and furious! :wink:

Current status of the other 2nd round games:
9. @BOsshOgg leading 58-46 against @The_AI at tick #66 - game link
11. @MalcolmReynolds leading 62-61 against @Karmadrome at tick #60 - game link
12. @Solfyre leading 57-55 against @Trucriot at tick #96 - game link

While it’s great to keep the games moving, do take your time to analyze/make good moves.

Noted. My moves in both 1v1 tourneys were slow for the last week, because I was traveling, but I’m back home now and read to pick up the pace.

As the month of August comes to a close, I just noticed that @BOsshOgg has WON against @The_AI - ready to start up against the Jolly Green Giant?

Both of these games are ongoing and appears to be great battles!
11. @Karmadrome leading 68-66 against @MalcolmReynolds at tick #102 - game link (fixed typo)
12. @Solfyre TIED 58-58 with @Trucriot at tick #210 - game link