August/2020 1v1 EPIC Tournament with Mirrored Maps

That’s OK @HULK. Whenever you’re ready.

Both of my tournament games wrapped up on the same day so now don’t have anything to do and feeling strangely lost. :stuck_out_tongue:

So I’m back … thanks for being patient with the delay.
I just realized that the August tournament had Experimentation set to ONE … this was before Jay gave us the ability to set it to ZERO.

My preference would be to play at ZERO … but if you want to do at ONE, we can do that.

Also, I’ve been debating about increasing the starting cash from $2,000 to $2,500 … but have not really tested that … so I’m not sure we want to make that change for a Championship game.

So let me know what you’d like to do, and I’ll create a couple of “good” maps for you to choose from. Looking forward to a good battle - hopefully I’ll bring my “A” game.

@HULK hey buddy! Welcome back from whatever you were doing. Hopefully it was something fun. :slight_smile:
I like exp at 0 for sure. Not sure about starting cash either, but the championship probably isn’t the place to test out new parameters. Lets just play it normal if that’s OK. I look forward to checking out your maps!

I generated a couple of games for @Solfyre to choose from and we agreed this game should play well.

We also agreed that two-outa-three for the Championship would be fun! :wink:

Its started off to be a good game with each of us making sneaky moves and gains at different times. Things have mostly evened out now, maybe I hold a small lead? Depends how you look at it. We’ve taken a very different tech route in this one so far.

The map went all diagonal on us and we had to re-sort our battle lines. Lots of good stars on one side of the map created a heavy supply line while the other side was harder to access easily. I’m curious to see if it straightens back out later in the game as we build up our infrastructure and get more established.

I took a look earlier and thought you had a slight advantage @Solfyre - but presumably you have some positional upside @HULK?

If this really is best of three then I suppose you might just get done by this August…?!

@Solfyre is kicking my big fat hairy green a** … :wink:

I needed a couple of breaks and didn’t get 'em last turn (missed by ONE tick - darn!) so I did some desperate moves this turn … which either just delays or hastens the inevitable.

Maybe not @plug… I think we’re both pretty good at knowing when we’re losing. And seem to take some big risks in order to get back in the game. So maybe we won’t have any long stretched out ones.

@Solfyre kicked my big fat hairy green a** in game #1.
Interesting how the map played out diagonally.

Since we agreed to two-outa-three, I’ve got a must-win in this game.

It was a good game @HULK, thanks. I’m not sure I played it much differently than you in terms of ship movements. I spent a little money on industry in areas you were likely to win in order to buy some time and slow you down. Is that what paid off? Or was it our different tech researching order? Definitely was an interesting one. I like it when they play out kind of weird, keeps me on my toes. I’m excited to try another, bring your A game Hulk. It’s do or die!

Yea, I think your delay tactics were well done … plus I recall I spent more on Science early on, so that slowed me down on ship production and it seemed that your carrier moves were superior. I made a few mistakes (we all do), but in summary, you just outplayed me all around.

I’m going to need my “A+” game to beat you @Solfyre!

P.S. I’m still trying to figure out a way such that if you spend extra on Science, you somehow get tech fast enough to make a bigger difference.

The August/2020 1v1 Tournament has concluded on February 28th, 2021 and the first post has all the details - congrats to @Solfyre for (double) SMASHING the HULK! :wink:

Congrats Solfyre! This is the first KO tournament win from a player that is not named HULK ( :stuck_out_tongue: ) since the July 2019 tournament.