Blight Beta: Known Issues and Bugs

Yes, Gnostic Mage. Sorry, I didn’t check if browser refresh fixed it, but if I get the chance I’ll try it again and let you know.

I’m occasionally unable to place cards in a town, if there are too many units right near (especially south of) that location. Even if the little placement bullseye is visible, I have to spam clicks all over the place, refresh the whole page, etc. just to find the correct clickable region. Sometimes the placement bullseye gets completely covered by unit portraits, in which case it’s completely impossible to deploy in the town unless you happen to have a Banner unit to deploy on (because then you deploy on the unit portrait rather than the town bullseye).

I don’t have any screenshots or anything handy, but I’ll try to remember to take one the next time it happens. Usually it’s just an annoyance, but it almost cost me a critical town today in Nightmare! (Luckily I found the magic click and got my Tree Whisperer down about three minutes before it would have been too late, don’t worry).

I have encountered this a fair amount as well I was trying to narrow it down before reporting - I think it seems worse when units are coming from the south up north but may be wrong

Got one. Same game, actually. No matter where I click, it won’t recognize the deployment area. (Edit: I ended up having to deploy them elsewhere.)

In case it turns out to be important:

• The Ents are attempting to move to Wizardsdance, but are rooted.
  • The Elves with 600 Strength are moving southeast.
  • The Elves with 240 Strength are stationary.

There’s a typo when graveyards only contain one body (should be “body”, not “bodies”):

I must have changed something and those units are somehow getting in the way, but that’s not really how the code works so I don’t know what is going on.

I will see if I can fix it before I finish today.

Edit: Pushing a fix for this now. Yell at me it the whole game breaks!

when you send resources the check for if you have sent too much only applies when you type the number in, if you press the increase/decrease amount buttons you can sent more than you have (meaning you get a red error) or if you started above how much you have it will refuse, hope thats clear enough, if not I will get round to figuring out how to upload a screenshot

Yesterday a player ally was attacked. His army strength was juuuust enough to overcome an attacking goblin army, showing that he had 7% higher strength.
But, during the hour before the actual battle, reinforcements arrived in the form of a Desert Maiden and 50 orc soldiers.
Upon their arrival, all units in the stronghold lost their +6 fortification bonus, and since not all units were orc it was not made up for by the Desert Maiden’s buff, dropping the combined army strength to just barely under the strength of the goblin army. He lost the battle and lost the city.

What’s going on here? Has anyone else seen this before?

I will have a look at both of these issues today. Thanks for reporting.

I was just trying to reproduce this bug here. Do you remember if the ally deployed the maiden from his hand or it walked up into the combat?

They walked up with the maiden and 50 orc stack.

edit: I am asking him to take a screenshot of the battle report

no need. I found the issue. Thanks for the help Frood!

great! he’ll be happy to know it’s getting fixed. thank you.

Undead Spiders list a Mana cost in their web ability. I think this should probably be removed, unless it turns out doing battle with them drains my mana, in which case… wow that is rough. haha.

If you send a message in Chat before the other players join the game, it will not appear to them until you send another message.

There’s a typo in Woodland Bard’s ability description.

Should be “Affects all Elves and Goblins within 5 leagues.” (the second use of “effects” later on is correct, though)

Not so much a bug but a ‘I got bored and investigated why blight was so slow sometimes report’. I may follow this up later with a ‘I got bored and figured how to make blight more responsive report’

It’s not ram limited - my investigations seem to show its using ~300mb an instance - I have 32 gb so not an issue (and my phone @3gb shouldn’t be an issue)

I don’t think its cpu limited (at least in the order of seconds) as on my phone it doesnt even put the cpu cores to full speed

On my desktop (firefox) it seems to be when stuff has been kicked out of cache that it slows down (4fps according to the in built dev tools), on my phone there is similar weirdness with fast then slow which I’m assuming is caching as well but dont know the tools to test.

tl;dr are you doing something in the code for map loading/ building the layers of the map together serially (taking in the order of 100s ms) where it could be done asynchronously meaning much lower end devices could play it.

I know performance isn’t a high priority yet, but thought I may as well write down my findings while I remember them.

1 Like

Feels like there’s some unnecessary polling going on or something: I haven’t done anything like a thorough investigation, but whenever I have a Blight tab active my System process (NT Kernel) pins one CPU to 100%. This is a process that’s using 84k and should basically never be using any meaningful fraction of a CPU. Again, I haven’t done any real investigation into what that process starts doing when I switch to a Blight tab, but it’s clearly doing something it shouldn’t be!

The Open Position share prompt is a little silly in a game like Blight of the Immortals where the open position is a dead guy.

Merging elven archers causes problems.
Normally it costs 6 mana to fire a volley. If you merge two (undamaged) archer units, however, it will cost 13.
Additionally, I think the berserker should increase in strength depending on amount of mana spent on elven abilities, not a static +5 for each ability. This is because when you merge two elven archers and tell them to fire, this counts as only one use of an elven ability.
For these two reasons, the game is effectively punishing the player for merging their archers.