Flying Swiss 1v1 Tournament [FS 02/2022]

Thanks @plug , you kept me on my toes the entire game! I’m not sure I even realized it was the move to make early on, but a made a play to control a clump of stars in the center of both sides and i think it allowed me to slowly take control of the board.

Looking forward to the final!

Congrats! So the Flying Swiss final will be a rematch of the recent Legendary Level game. Can @Dr_Gaming prevail against the world number 1 @Solfyre this time?

Generated over 15 maps before I found a good one for the final:

Join within this week (tournament link is the same) and try to finish by May 28. Would prefer if we don’t have to apply tiebreaker rules for the title :wink:

As an aside… Do you know why so many of the maps have a hole or a less dense area directly between the two home stars? The rough layout that map seems pretty common with two “battle zones.” One on either side.

Thought about it, but I don’t really have a clue. Maybe it has something to do with how the axis is handled / stars being removed if they are generated too close. Will look a bit closer in how common that is in future map generations - there could also be a correlation between maps having tighter borders if split than spread out, making them a more common pick when I assess how unlikely I think a draw would be on a map.

Interesting! I figured in was a side effect of something in map creation.

Our match just concluded with @Dr_Gaming conceding. It was a close match until i managed to sneak one of his warp gates one jump removed from the home star which really messed up his ship moving logistics. From there i just held ground as long as i could on that side while making a mad push on the other while his gates were down. Thanks for playing @Dr_Gaming !

GG again to Solfyre. Like he said things were fairly close for a while. I was behind a bit on stars but had a decent lead in ships and a few more points in science. The warp gate maneuver he pulled off was quite sneaky, I was fairly certain the warp gate was outside of his scanning range the whole time but he must’ve noticed the ship volume and concluded a warp gate was on that star. Things slowly went downhill for me after that one.

Congrats @Solfyre on getting the Flying Swiss title! And yeah @Dr_Gaming, I know from personal experience that Solfyre’s warp meaneuvers are always something to look out for :wink: Still well done on pulling off a total of 5 wins just as Solfyre did.

That wraps up this tournament that had the most 1v1 games in NP2 history (51). Hope everybody had a good time.

The next edition is kicking off! Consider signing up again in the linked thread.

@gaz123 - @Skilly146 - @Generic - @plug - @MLaZz - @BelSon - @Macomber - @Kaine - @Solfyre - @SteelyPhil - @OneBlue - @Demikus - @BlueChicken - @iippabella - @Dr_Gaming - @sarcophagus - @PanzerSherman - @SummerSiren2331 - @tenerezu - @limemaster - @Satirael - @wint3ermute - @DarkDragonwing - @Grayman

1v1s are a fun challenge for new NP2 players and veterans alike.You will face off on an epic mirrored map with no experimentation so you have the exact same starting position as your opponent.

No diplomacy instead it’s 100% strategy and game theory. It’s turn-based with only two players, so games can move along quickly.

Green Acres

I would not say all games move quickly. My experience is some players like to take the full 28 hrs (in Flying Swiss, other 1v1s can be 48) to submit their turn vs others who easily seem to submit their turns multiple times a day.

Of course, but the Flying Swiss has 28-hour deadlines and penalties based on wait time if the game does not progress far enough due to one of the players.

Good point and I’ll amend the post to reflect my oversight. Even so, it is not too difficult to submit 2 turns in a 24 hour period most of the time and/or to reach out to your opponent when one is unable to do so. There was even a request for players to be “mindful to try and submit at least twice per day” in the original post. I have conceded defeat when I have had unexpected time demands and have had players who have done the same. I think “mindfulness” is the key and I find it lacking in some opponents. Nonetheless, I have enjoyed the vast majority of the games I have played and will join again when you organize another. As I have said in a different venue, you deserve a huge thanks for organizing the tourneys.

1 Like