NP2 Dueling Tournament - Round 1

I won against Ahamkara.

It was a great game, but I agree the player starts were perhaps a little close and that early experiments may have made too much of an impact.

End game

Been away from the NP2 scene for a few months as been honey mooning and moving house, but just checked in and this is great! I’ll be following the tournament, good luck all.

1 Like

Good to see you again Myk :smile:

I think Ross is going to take this one but I live in hope I can pull it back :smiley:

Congratulations!

This old fart married guy (17 years) is wondering where are the pictures from the honeymoon?!?
Congrats also Myk … just don’t show your Wife the Princess Mykess thread! :wink:

I really enjoyed my match! Take this with a grain of salt because I lost, but I don’t think any game should start with Weapons 1, but especially for small games like these 1v1 matches when Experimentation can randomly give one player a major advantage if they come up with points in Weapons.

With this format, both players have little choice but to devote all their first research to Weapons or risk a massacre. Not as interesting.

I agree on the comments re wep tech levels. This round has been a good learning curve and we can amend the rules to NP fisty cuffs for the next round.

Major Awesome vs Russbirchall is still ongoing.

Lucky experimentation set the stage early in our game as well, giving me a bit of an advantage. It’s settled into a kind of lopsided-stalemate as we each get our snowballing e/i/s going on what we have. Unfortunately for my opponent, I have more stars and infrastructure than he, and my snowball seems to be growing faster in many categories. Still haven’t reached a critical mass yet to push through though.

If I miscalculate an attack it could swing the other way. We’ll see how it plays out. Any time-frame on when we want these Round 1 games to wrap up?

Whenever it’s done I guess. I’ve managed to squeak past LDG, so yours is the only one outstanding. I assume the second round could be drawn with one TBC bracket.

Hey, did I ever write that code so that experimentation doesn’t give any bost if you have it disabled for a game?

I lost :frowning:

Well done Ross, we had a cool galaxy with routes around two arms and a large jump in the middle.

So one more game to go before we go round 2. I think we can say that if the game isn’ t finished by Saturday we will declare the person with the most stars the winner. Looking to start round 2 on Sunday.

I don’t know if you have the brackets drawn all the way out … but if you to assign an opponent to me (how about that Aussie dude! :wink: and have us play with whatever your amended rules are, I’d be happy to be a test case and provide feedback. I’ve got some extended travel in early-mid February, so wouldn’t mind starting sooner.

Speaking of Aussie dudes, great job again with the Mirror’ed Maps - just brilliant - looking forward to when you add that as an option for game creation.

I don’t ever remember you coding that Jay. I want that.

Major Awesome has won against Russbirchall, which should conclude Round 1.

It was a nice game, but unfortunately was a bit lopsided due to early helpful experimentation hits. Our small galaxy was pretty neat, it had three short paths between each homeworld, and expansion space behind. After a lucky experimentation hit on weapons cycle 2 I played aggressively. I was able to hold the majority of those three routes and grow my infrastructure at a greater rate when the ‘face off’ stage began with more stars in my favor.

If Jay can bring in a no experimentation game, I’d like to keep all other factors the same.

I think that even with no Experimentation, both players would still wind up having to start with their research on Weapons and match each others Science infrastructure until reaching Weapons 2 out of fear of getting hit the moment their opponent gets to it first.

I agree. Lets start on wep 2. Sleepy now i’ll do the draw durinfg my lunch break tomorrow :slight_smile:

That’s a great idea - here’s my previous suggestions if any have merit to 'ya.

• Change started Weapons tech from 1 to 3 and make Weapons very expensive to research
  • Double the number of stars (my game has 44 in it) … how 'bout an even 100 total?
  • Change Plentiful resources to Standard (since more stars)
  • Increase starting cash to at least $1,500
  • Keep distances close … you (or your opponent) is always close enough to attack!
  • Keep Experimentation … it’s a fun element of the game and detuned with above changes

I think that will make for a good back-n-forth battle that will be a better test of skillful play.

I agree. I think the early experimentation really made an impact on you getting ahead early on. After you got your initial weapons boost and then banking? you were impossible to catch up to.