Proteus Test Game 3

This unfortunately favors the most powerful alliance.
The strongest empire in a weaker alliance will not gain any trades from his allies, so would have a difficult time catching up with the most powerful alliance.

How exactly does star experience work? That wasn’t enabled for the test game I played before. What are its bonuses?

Perhaps. But it might promote more instability in the strong alliance, by giving number 2 a better shot of unseating number 1.

Perhaps this favors vassal relationships ?
The strongest ally can decide to not trade down, at times, to maintain weaker vassals allies.

my thought exactly. and hopefully, it is true from time to time that the vassals are revolting :wink:

I’m going to bring in my suggestion from the other thread (we seem to have a splintered discussion).

1 Like

WOW ! . . . instability . . .

This just breed mistrust in all alliances. HA HA !

Can you even call it an alliance without mutually beneficial trade?! :scream:

I get it now. Jay is just staying true to the description in the 64 player game.

You’re all untrustworthy !! :stuck_out_tongue:
I have always known this was true !!

It seems the trade modifications have backfired. As a weaker player (by star count) with potential to catch up, in trying to get tech from stronger players. But since I have literally 0 to offer them (other than promises of tech in the future) no one will send me anything. Makes it even harder for small guys to catch up imo

1 Like

bend a knee to a bigger neighbor, offer to march under his flag for tech. Then if and when he gets too high and mighty, overthrow him with the other serfs

Aaaand… that is why I am leery of sending tech.

Yes, I deliberately reduced the trading cost again becuase I wanted it to be cheap to gift tech.

Don’t forget there is still a massive advantage to trade, so if for example two players were organised enough to stay the same size, they would have a big advantage. - I havn’t been able to convince anybody of this in the current game though.

I think scan espionage is going to be a great equalizer. I know my neighbors are laughing all the way to the bank…

1 Like

Espionage is probably the most interesting addition for me. I almost took cheap scanning to try and exploit this to its full potential.

(I can only see one of your facilities. So far… :wink: )

I think the espionage is a wonderful addition, and it is actually very viable, at least so far as I see. Helps the leaders a lot, though that might induce an aneurism in Jay. :wink:

1 Like

I can definitely see espionage making up for being unable to trade. The bigger you are the better your espionage, which is nice.

1 Like

Dying to get in a Proteus test game!

Hey Pepsis, Will start a new game soon. Just need to gather some feedback on the current game and do another tuning pass.

I have some feedback here:

Bugs:

• I can’t loop between the ends of a wormhole (the web crashes and I need to refresh)
  • the rule tell me it’s 13h the ETA between two stars with warpgates (although I can remember that worked before saying it was 12h)

Opinions:

• warpgates are too expensive. $1000 for a 50 res star
  • espionage is cool, it opens new strategies, like the stars swapping you can see now in the map (it makes each science point produce double: for you and your ally)
  • tech restriction is too strict. It should be at least a range of stars number allowed instead of the “at most” limit. For example: you can buy from who is +/-20% of stars than you. Coordinate number of stars with allies is impractical.
  • I don’t know if it’s me, but carriers seems slower. It may be the cause of so slow action going on.
  • wormholes should have low res stars at the ends to facilitate collaboration between allies at both sides
  • the Intel charts for I/e/s is almost worthless. It should show ships/tick, $/tick, res/tick. It can be attained by just multiplying the current value by the tech level (for ex: if the plate has 30 Eco, lvl 2 bank, show 60).
  • include spionage in the players profile?
3 Likes