Teams Tournament Expression of Interest

early 2022 is definitely better than christmas time
also that’d leave time to finish the flying swiss tournament and the november 1v1 lll that havent started yet

I’d be interested for this, in January 2022 - thanks for organising this @spymort.

This is a video of one I played in just over a year ago: Neptune's Pride 3v3 Galaxy - the full story - YouTube

Definitely fun!

3 Likes

That was an outstanding game. Mal took everything I threw at him, and brushed it right off. The winning side controlled the center from almost the beginning and never let go

1 Like

I’m interested! I’m a newbie for teams tournaments and looking forward to the challenge. :slight_smile:

Count me in too!

Team tourneys are always loads of fun. Not sure how to stack teams to make it fair, fun and challenging at the same time. Either break up so that every team has equal numbers of high ranking and low ranking players… Or maybe do a draft with team captains… Any other ideas? Picking our own teams generally wouldn’t be good for fairness, IMHO.

2 Likes

If you guys were to decide to go with this option, I could draw the teams based on the 1v1 world rankings. The winning team of the last 3v3 tournament had Top10 players only, so some kind of scrambling would definitely be good to achieve the goals you mentioned.

If people are happy to get put in teams according to their 1v1 rank that would be cool

I would also be interested in doing a team tournament. I joined the November LLL and am having a lot of fun in my game with wfmcgillicuddy (Who is currently destroying me if I may add…).

Thanks. Since we have had over 14 unique users contribute to this thread, and assuming that there are more who are interested, we will surely be able to give a tournament a go at the start of next year.

Actually I’ll be busy for the next three months and I won’t be able to efficiently play until march

Update: 'Tis January '22, so let’s make this thing work!

2 Likes

I’ve been eager to play another team match since that epic game with @plug and @wfmcgillicuddy mentioned above, and now I have the time to commit to it again, so I’m all for it. Yes, let’s make it happen!

I like the idea of balancing the teams based on 1v1 rankings, rather than self-chosen teams. Last time I played all players were fairly balanced in skill, so we randomized the teams by choosing colors before the game was created, then teams were pre-determined by positions. If there will be multiple games, I suggest each game contains players close in ranking, but the teams are assigned randomly, as above. If it’s only one game, I suggest teams be roughly balanced by the total rating of the players.

im interested in playing! but its turn base o.o lol, but ill still be interested in playing

I’d play too, can’t remember if I said that before

We are way past Christmas time now, and there seem to be many players interested. I hope we still have someone capable of organizing this. I would love to try it out.

I am still down to organise the tournament. Will need help to create the games but I just have to choose a time to open signups. Also will need to determine tech/research rules, map, stars, etc. So I’d like to hear from some more experienced NP2 Players who can help finalise details during the signup period :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds fun! I’m interested

This is my proposal: 3v3 in a circular galaxy where clockwise the players would be on team A, B, A, B, A, B

Here’s all settings deviating from the default NP2 ones:

• Stars For Victory: 50%
  • Turn Based: On
  • Tick to Jump Each Turn: 6 Tick Jumps
  • Turn Deadline: 48 Hours
  • Dark Galaxy: Disabled
  • Stars Per Player: 32 Stars
  • Home Star Distance:
  • Random Gates: None
  • Starting Stars: 3
  • Starting Credits: $2000
  • Starting Ships Per Star: 50 Ships
  • Starting Economy: 10
  • Starting Industry: 10
  • Starting Science: 2
  • Cost Science: Cheap
  • Cost Scanning: Normal
  • Cost Experimentation: None
  • Cost Manufacturing: Expensive
  • Cost Banking: Cheap
  • Cost Weapons: None
  • Starting Experimentation: Level0
  • Starting Weapons: Level4

Took this mostly from the LLL with a few modifications. Please check how they look and I’d be interested to have a discussion RE unlocked weapons in 3v3. Also not exactly sure what to do about home star distance.

To all those interested, I am setting up a 2v2 casual ongoing tournament, with the first round starting in ~1.5 weeks. See Ranked 2v2 games Edition 1 Thread for the sign-up and more information.