Flying Swiss 1v1 Tournament [FS 10/2021]

:grinning: :grinning: :grinning:Thanks!

My game against @SUP ended earlier this day and I managed to take the victory after just 42 Ticks. I guess my experience in 1v1 games allowed me to set better and more efficient routes, so I managed to take several stars on his site right from the start.
Unfortunately, @SUP missed 2 turns and seemed to be AFK the most of time. I hope, he will find more time in round 2. Wishing him all the best and good luck in his future games!

@Kaine fought a rambunctious game that could have easily gone either way but I took the victory in the end. He took the majority of the central stars off the start and I thought my days were numbered. The addition of rare warp gates added a lot of dimensions to the game play. Early on, he had a higher level of range than me and launched a surprise warp attack at a warped star deep in my territory from a star of his beyond my scanning range that I was barely able to fend off. With great anticipation, I planned a counterattack of my own by launching from a freshly warped star into the dark towards his thankfully-still-warped star to take it. Another key exchange happened as he warped a star within striking range of my home star and began building up a threatening fleet there. I took the risk of warping my home star to launch at it and barely take it, spelling doom for his plansā€¦ but had he launched at me on the same turn, I wouldā€™ve lost my home star and the game.

Overall, a great match, and lots of fun - thanks Kaine. The Flying Swiss rules made for a more fast-paced 1v1 experience and I liked it.

2 Likes

Now for Round 2!

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

As per the Swiss rules, here are the next match-ups (in brackets the countries and Top28 ranks of the latest and all new 1v1 NP2 World Rankings):

1. @iippabella vs. @Kwhwwymwn [FR]
  2. @Kaine vs. @SUP
  3. @puffin [AU] vs. @gaz123
  4. @Sneferu vs. @Gabrio [MC]
  5. @plug [GB-5] vs. @HabitableFiction [US]
  6. @Dr_Gaming [RS-9] vs. @DarkDragonwing [DE-13]
  7. @kinghuang [CA-20] vs. @Macomber [CA-21] (Canadian showdown!)
  8. @FinrodFelagund [DE-4] vs. @Vernitrax [PL-25]

If youā€™d like to and havenā€™t already, please do not hesitate to send your country/flag to me - would appreciate it! :slight_smile:

Use the according link I provided for your game number in the tournament tracking tool powered by @Dysp - press the hyperlink symbol to the right:
https://np2stats.dysp.info/tournament.php?tournament=73

Password is 1vs1 - make sure to join your game within 72 hours. Also be mindful to try and submit at least twice per day so we can get as many clear results by November 20 (adjusted for earlier Round 1 finish) as possible. The next round will start then (or hopefully even earlier).

If you win your game, please post about it in this thread to make it easier for me.

Some great moves and a few nail biting moments on my side too! Congratulations again on the win.

1 Like

Just finished a cracking game Vs @Gabrio. Really interesting game which could have gone either way right to the end. @Gabrio held a lead in economy and industry for most of the latter stages of the game. I managed to maintain a lead in stars and invested heavily in more carriers and warp gates which eventually paid off as I was able to move ships quicker to the front and capture his home star.

Rare warp gates is great. Well played.

Grats both on being the fastest to complete this round!

Last call for @SUP - please join your game immediately where @Kaine is patiently waiting for you. Otherwise it will be counted as a forfeiture tomorrow.

Just to report that @puffin and I have just finished our game. @puffin unfortunately got off to a bad start after missing a deadline on one of the early turns. This really put him at a disadvantage and despite fighting back well he never really recovered from that and I managed to win.

The game between @Vernitrax and I just concluded with me being able to take the win.

I was able to take an early lead in stars by spreading my fleets on both flanks. An early investment in a warp gate allowed me to pressure the middle but @Vernitrax managed to take it away and nullify my investment.
I successfully secured the left flank while disrupting the right side of the map. Slowly edging out a lead.
Both of us set up supply lines connecting our home planet with warp gates. I managed the final blow by jumping his HP and barely conquering it with 4 ships left.
Thanks for the game and good luck on your future matches. Looking forward to an eventual rematch :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes I would love a rematch one day, you destroyed me on so many levels, it really opened my eyes how much space there is to improve my 1v1 early game :smiley:

Well played, 100% deserved win gl in your games too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@kinghuang took a well-deserved victory in our game. I think I made a few mistakes in the early game and he was able to build on his successes and keep a lead until the end. In past 1v1 games, Iā€™ve played quite cautiously and defensively, and more recently Iā€™ve been experimenting with more aggressive moves. Which is fun butā€¦ doesnā€™t always work out. So, I opened up by attacking on all fronts as soon as possible, building multiple warp gates off the bat as well to funnel ships to the front. However, kinghuang defended all my attacks, I took no stars from him, and my invasion was just a lot of sound and fury amounting to nothing. These losses led to me trailing him in the ship count by several hundred as we entered the mid game, and the deficit only grew as he compounded his lead in economy and industry. He built up his forces for a ā€˜killing blowā€™ turn where he invaded my stars across the board, finding success even as I scrambled to defend. We had a great match with many moves submitted per day, lots of fun tactical play and stars being traded back and forth as he marched through my territory.

2 Likes

If @SUP doesnā€™t join, Iā€™d be happy to step in for a rematch with @Kaine

Thanks, @Macomber! I really enjoyed our great, fast paced game. I held a small ship lead at the beginning, but it was so diffuse that I couldnā€™t do much with it at first. The ā€œkilling blowā€ was the moment when things took off for me. We traded stars repeatedly over the next couple hundred ticks, but it gradually built up to a victory.

1 Like

Timeā€™s up for @SUP in 38 minutes. Up to @Kaine afterwards how heā€™d like to proceed with the game as itā€™d become a separate friendly then - the no-show ranked game will be counted as auto-win vs SUP.

Hope weā€™ll see SUP back in Round 3 in any case.

@Macomber as much as Iā€™d love a rematch,I donā€™t think I have the time or headspace for 3 simultaneous games so Iā€™d rather just focus on my next round game

No worries, good luck with the next round!

@Trucriot I presume i quit that game and will get a new one for the new round?

Yes, there will be a new game.

Speaking of which, sign-ups for the new Legendary Level League round are open now! Also check out the polls regarding setting deviations there.

I managed to edge out @HabitableFiction in game #13 - we both raced for the pair of mirrored stars that looked strategically vital (they turned out to be nice 48 natural resources stars), and I just won both those tussles which opened up the flanks. A fun game, where my risk of building more early warp gates at the expense of investing in Economy just paid off.

Thanks for the game!