Organizing a Team game

Yeah I noticed that AI had expanded more. It my must have randomly prioritized that your direction was best. Leaving you less available stars.

When fighting AI, they expand fast, so you have to rush them.

I know im way late to respond to this but We’re gonna be doing some F.I.S.T.ing rather than getting F.I.ST.ed

I have created a gif of the team game up to Tick150.
I used some photoshop tricks to remove the solid stars in my empire / team’s empire and the glow from warp gates.

I am having trouble uploading the file. I am sure it is less than the 2048kb limit and have saved smaller file sizes that still fail. Hulk any ideas?

So I have put it on Google Drive (dropbox didn’t display animated gif).

So using Imjur BB codes work.

1 Like

That’s so cool, can’t wait to see how it progresses from here =)

Myk did you get my PM on Hangouts? I am trying to work out why you and Bill are not accessing the group hangout.

I replied in the other thread, but yea, I ran into the same problem - you need to sign up for an imgurl account to get bigger size …

Déjà vu
:wink:

Is that a subscription? Monthly cost?

I just signed up for the free account … rather than anonymous upload.

I didn’t know you could do an anonymous upload, I just created an account and uploaded.
Where is the option for having a large screen link like you did? What option did you use?
BB code?

I finally got Myk on the Hangout after some testing and research.

If anyone has an issue getting on the hangout, and they have been invited, then tell them they need to:

1. go to the hangouts box
  2. click the wee arrow on the right
  3. go to “Hangouts invitations”
  4. find their invite there.

The Hangouts box can be located on your Google+ page on the right. Click on the Hangouts word at the top and it rolls out a whole column box.
Or if you have the Chrome Extension it has it’s own popup box.

1 Like

Don’t know if I missed this somewhere in the thread… but was there a reason the map was split into 2 sections this way? Seems like a pretty big disadvantage to be one of the two central teams.

I know it’s pointless to criticize at this stage, but for future teams games I would have thought it would balance out much better if the 6 team areas all had roughly equal gaps in between each other. Great map otherwise.

I was going to flag this up in my post mortem.

It’s a BRAIN! lol

Actually, the general idea was to have gaps between all of the sections. Not necessarily as big as the top and bottom, but preferably in the R9-10 range. Look at the first one posted up higher in this thread.

My graph paper version had many edits, and I actually inverted the coordinates as I wrote them down. Probably distracted by the kids at the time. They then had to be tripled to get the map we have.

Anyway, as Hulk can attest, Custom Map generation is a best guess trial and error process at best. The Starting Distance option doesn’t seem to do what you would expect it to do. Next time I try to use this map, I would probably shift a couple stars. Using just FIST’s segment to illustrate, I would move Red northeast 1-3 coordinates, and Orange east about the same. Duplicate those changes for the other top and bottom locations to increase the gaps with the sides, and decrease the distance between the sides. I’ll play with it some more later, but that is a general correction I would make in the future.

Ditto what Brian said and speaking from experience, I can attest that it’s a “challenge” to generate maps - it’s amazing how “different” they were given the starting positions … and then to have to re-enter everything for the umpteenth time just to see if the stars move around more.

I agree with Myk and Rosslessness that semi-equal spacing would have been better … but I disagree with Brian at HR9/10 spacing. I think HR5 maximum - i.e. sprinkle some more stars between the teams so making a move to the side becomes an viable option … which engages all three players on the team … rather than everyone just goes toward the middle.

I.e. the border between Myk and I was the closest … and we’ve had some great battles …

Brian: I believe there was some slight asymmetry to map - I think that should be cleaned up too - the distances between cores should be the same for fairness.

I’ll have to find and post a picture of the graph paper. I know it wasn’t perfect. At least it was symmetrical on the vertical axis. I don’t know if you can get a perfectly symmetrical map with 6 teams of 3 with this kind of map coordinate system.

As for the gaps, we are on Cycle 7 and Range 7. Maybe start it at 5 and Cheap, but I think driving 3 to the center was a fine idea. teams are doing interesting things with it.

I’d second the range 5 comment. More battles, more interaction.

The problem with HR10 gaps is not necessarily that you won’t eventually get the tech … it’s that the enemy can see you coming a longgggg ways away … and easily defend. Plus even if you get a foothold, it would be almost impossible to hold against all the nearby Industry.

BTW, it occurred to me that Range is actually (in some respects) expensive in this game.

I.e. even though it is cheap to produce, it is expensive to transfer! :wink:

Creating a map sounds like a game in itself.
Create map, go, watch enemies destroy each other super speed.
Nah, start again.
Create map…
repeat.

It isn’t that easy. You can’t play the same map twice! I’d love to have an aggressive AI test process where you could watch the game play out at 1 Tick per second, then reset the map for a real game.