Flying Swiss 1v1 Tournament [FS 02/2022]

It’s down to the final four! All of them are veterans with 16+ ranked 1v1 games to their name, having demonstrated their rich experience and skill once more. Here are the semi-finals based on the tournament table positions:

1. @Dr_Gaming [RS-4] vs. @BelSon [AU-13]
  2. @Solfyre [US-1] vs. @plug [GB-3]

Dr_Gaming is the only player of the tournament who has won every game so far. Can BelSon change that and avenge his 2nd-round loss against the doc? And can the defending Flying 1v1 Champion plug pull off a victory against the incredibly consistent Solfyre who just reclaimed his #1 spot in the world rankings?
Stay tuned!

Use the according map link I provided for your game in @Dysp’s tournament tracking tool - press the hyperlink symbol to the right of the names:
https://np2stats.dysp.info/tournament.php?tournament=77

Password is 1vs1 - please join your game with your forum username by April 23, otherwise it will be forfeited and your opponent automatically wins. Also be mindful to try and submit at least twice per day so we can get as many clear results by May 7 as possible.

Good luck and have fun!

@Dr_Gaming and I just finished our game, with a solid victory to Dr_Gaming in only 96 ticks. I did a huge science push in turn one, and ended up with 2 levels of terraforming and one level of range by the end of the first cycle. But then I made some mistakes in cycle 2 which allowed Gaming to take solid control over the centre, and well played to them, I was not able to retake even a toe-hold.

Once again, I have recorded all my moves as the game progressed, and once all of my footage against iippabella has been released on Friday/Saturday (depending on time zones), I’ll start releasing footage from my game against Gaming on Tuesday next week.

Again good game to @BelSon . Like he said he started the game off with a very solid science lead, over 10 points I think it was. But I instead pushed heavily into the center and placed a few warp gates in the area, the cash investment had me concerned at the time but they proved vital to taking and holding the entire middle region as well as narrowly beating back two large waves from Belson that tried to take it back.

Looking forward to our next match in the future whenever that happens as well as that video!

All videos in the series of my game with @iippabella have been published, ending with a short, 30 second timelapse of the game. The link to the timelapse is NP Timelapse | BelSon vs iippabella | Neptune's Pride Flying Swiss Tournament Round 4 - YouTube.

The videos in the series of my game with @Dr_Gaming will start being published on Monday 2nd 7pm UTC, and will have another day release every two days until the final video being a timelapse on Wednesday 11th.

@BelSon - love the timelapse and looking forward to catching up on the longer videos as well.

@Dr_Gaming - congrats on making it to the finals, let’s see who gets to join you there.

Consider signing up for the Xjhdexter Memorial 1v1 (KO) Tournament.

@Dr_Gaming, @Solfyre, @wint3ermute, @limemaster, @Generic, @Macomber, @iippabella, @Satirael, @BlueChicken, @sarcophagus, @Demikus, @MLaZz, @Skilly146, @SteelyPhil, @gaz123, @SummerSiren2331, @OneBlue, @tenerezu, @Grayman, @PanzerSherman

The first part of my 1v1 game with @DrGaming has been published. Go to Science for the Win! | BelSon vs DrGaming | Day 1 Neptune's Pride Flying Swiss Tournament Round 5 - YouTube to see how I start out the game.

I’ve been comprehensively beaten by @Solfyre in game 66 (the second semi-final) - well played, and I trust the final against @Dr_Gaming will be a good tussle.

Thanks @plug , you kept me on my toes the entire game! I’m not sure I even realized it was the move to make early on, but a made a play to control a clump of stars in the center of both sides and i think it allowed me to slowly take control of the board.

Looking forward to the final!

Congrats! So the Flying Swiss final will be a rematch of the recent Legendary Level game. Can @Dr_Gaming prevail against the world number 1 @Solfyre this time?

Generated over 15 maps before I found a good one for the final:

Join within this week (tournament link is the same) and try to finish by May 28. Would prefer if we don’t have to apply tiebreaker rules for the title :wink:

As an aside… Do you know why so many of the maps have a hole or a less dense area directly between the two home stars? The rough layout that map seems pretty common with two “battle zones.” One on either side.

Thought about it, but I don’t really have a clue. Maybe it has something to do with how the axis is handled / stars being removed if they are generated too close. Will look a bit closer in how common that is in future map generations - there could also be a correlation between maps having tighter borders if split than spread out, making them a more common pick when I assess how unlikely I think a draw would be on a map.

Interesting! I figured in was a side effect of something in map creation.

Our match just concluded with @Dr_Gaming conceding. It was a close match until i managed to sneak one of his warp gates one jump removed from the home star which really messed up his ship moving logistics. From there i just held ground as long as i could on that side while making a mad push on the other while his gates were down. Thanks for playing @Dr_Gaming !

GG again to Solfyre. Like he said things were fairly close for a while. I was behind a bit on stars but had a decent lead in ships and a few more points in science. The warp gate maneuver he pulled off was quite sneaky, I was fairly certain the warp gate was outside of his scanning range the whole time but he must’ve noticed the ship volume and concluded a warp gate was on that star. Things slowly went downhill for me after that one.

Congrats @Solfyre on getting the Flying Swiss title! And yeah @Dr_Gaming, I know from personal experience that Solfyre’s warp meaneuvers are always something to look out for :wink: Still well done on pulling off a total of 5 wins just as Solfyre did.

That wraps up this tournament that had the most 1v1 games in NP2 history (51). Hope everybody had a good time.

The next edition is kicking off! Consider signing up again in the linked thread.

@gaz123 - @Skilly146 - @Generic - @plug - @MLaZz - @BelSon - @Macomber - @Kaine - @Solfyre - @SteelyPhil - @OneBlue - @Demikus - @BlueChicken - @iippabella - @Dr_Gaming - @sarcophagus - @PanzerSherman - @SummerSiren2331 - @tenerezu - @limemaster - @Satirael - @wint3ermute - @DarkDragonwing - @Grayman

1v1s are a fun challenge for new NP2 players and veterans alike.You will face off on an epic mirrored map with no experimentation so you have the exact same starting position as your opponent.

No diplomacy instead it’s 100% strategy and game theory. It’s turn-based with only two players, so games can move along quickly.

Green Acres

I would not say all games move quickly. My experience is some players like to take the full 28 hrs (in Flying Swiss, other 1v1s can be 48) to submit their turn vs others who easily seem to submit their turns multiple times a day.

Of course, but the Flying Swiss has 28-hour deadlines and penalties based on wait time if the game does not progress far enough due to one of the players.